- Our commitment to protecting privacy
- Collecting your information
- How do we use and disclose information collected?
- Access to information collected
- Contact us
Our Commitment to Protecting Privacy
Eakin McCaffery Cox (EMC) understands the importance of privacy and we are committed to protecting your privacy and the privacy of any information you provide to us in our usual course of business dealings with you. This is the reason why we have adopted the National Privacy Principles as set out in the amended Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“the Act”). Nevertheless, this Privacy Statement explains our policy regarding any personal information you might supply to us in the course of our business dealings and in particular via this website and how such information may be used.
Throughout this Privacy Statement, the term “personal information” means information which identifies you as an individual or from which your identity can be reasonably ascertained. Examples of personal information are your home address, your email address and your home telephone number.
We may review and update this Privacy Statement from time to time and we will post any changes on the website. We therefore encourage you to regularly review this page so that you are aware of any such changes.
Collecting Your Information
We collect your personal information only when you have provided it voluntarily. We may collect personal information from you when you instruct EMC to provide you with legal service, subscribe to our website or to one of our mailing lists, or have business dealings with us (whether as one of our suppliers or in the context of a transaction).
More specifically, the personal information which we may collect through the website includes:
- Your name and address details, email address, telephone and fax numbers, job description;
- The content of electronic forms you submit via the website, requesting us to provide services or information;
- Any messages or comments you submit to us via the website (eg. through an email or “Contact Us” form);
- Information collected when you participate in an online survey.
When you visit this website or download information from it, our Internet Service Provider (ISP) makes a record of your visit and records information such as your internet address, your domain name if applicable, the date and time of your visit to the website, the documents you have downloaded, and links from other sites that you have followed to reach our website. However, this information is anonymous and is only used for statistical and website development purposes.
How Do We Use and Disclose Information Collected?
EMC does not sell, rent or trade personal information about you to or with third parties. We will use or disclose your personal information:
- in accordance with this Privacy Statement;
- for the main purpose(s) for which we collected it, or for related purpose(s) which you would reasonably expect and will consent to;
- to provide you with the products or services you have requested;
- to help us manage, develop and enhance our services;
- to communicate with you;
- to provide you with information relating to EMC or promotional details about our products and services which may be of interest to you. We will assume that you consent to this, unless you have previously advised us that you do not wish to be contacted for these direct marketing purposes. You can veto any direct marketing contact by telling our privacy officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we do contact you for direct marketing purposes, we will always give you an easy option for indicating that you prefer no such contact for the future.
We may disclose your personal information to service providers, agents, contractors and strategic partners from time to time to help us to provide and market our services to you. If such disclosure occurs, we will require these parties to protect your information the same way we do.
A cookie is a small message which our web server gives to your web browser. Your browser stores the message in a text file and the message is then sent back to our server each time your browser requests a page from our server. Cookies can therefore be used to monitor visits on a website.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of any information you provide to us. These steps include restricting physical access to our offices, electronic firewalls and secured databases to prevent information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Nevertheless, we cannot guarantee that information exchanged via the internet may not be accessed and used by people other than the intended party. Therefore, if you send any information to us via the internet, it is sent at your own risk.
Access to Information Collected
If you wish to request access to any personal information which we hold about you, please contact us by sending your request and contact details to email@example.com.
If you wish to access the personal information we hold about you on our current records, we can provide you with a copy of the relevant information without charge for the cost of providing this type of access to these current records.
However, please be aware that you only have a legal right to seek access to personal information about you collected by us prior to 21 December 2001 if we use or disclose that personal information after that date and if providing access will not cause EMC an unreasonable administrative burden or unreasonable expense. If you do wish to access personal information collected by us prior to 21 December 2001, then please contact our Privacy Officer to discuss whether access may be available. If we do provide access to old records, please note that we may charge you for the cost of providing such access.
We may deny your request in some circumstances. If this occurs, we will give you our reasons.
If you think that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on (61 2) 9265 3000 and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of other organisations which may be of interest to you. These other sites are not subject to our Privacy Statement and you should check those websites for their own privacy statements.
- The Firm
- The Team
- Contact Us